"Delta Dart"
Convair F-106A Delta Dart

The F-106 was the primary air defense aircraft of the USAF between 1959 and the late 1970s, when the F-15C Eagle entered service. Air National Guard Delta Darts were the last to be replaced (1988) by the F-16 Fighting Falcon. When the F-106 was introduced in the late 1950s, it was one of the fastest fighters in the world. It had twice the speed of the preceding F-102. It ended its flying service being converted to QF-106 unmanned target drones.

The Delta Darts pictured in this painting were from the 94th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, Selfridge AFB, Michigan circa 1969.